What Schoolhouse Rock doesn't discuss.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Burning Cash

Though I think I identify mostly as liberal, I must say, I completely agree with Brandon Lien’s article entitled “Drug Benefits?” Especially as a student, working and living on my own, I feel I’m being pulled every which way by taxes and payments. I believe it would really benefit everyone in the long run if we weren’t spending money on people who don’t earnestly deserve it. Truthfully, if I were to be taxed to benefit others, I would prefer it to go to other hard working students who are experiencing the worst financial strains if anyone at all. People who take the money of the people and do nothing with it to improve their lives are plainly despicable, in my opinion.

That being said, while I still agree that background and subsequent tests should be done to determine those who should qualify for aid, I also wish there were actual statistics I could look at to tell me just how many people are taking advantage of working citizens’ tax payments. It could very well be that only a few people are low enough to throw that money in the fire and waste their life away. In that case, we would have to analyze the actual expenditures of screening people and what is actually irresponsibly used. If the money wasted by drug addicts is less than the cost of doing tests, it pains me to say it, but it would be in our best interest to simply cry as the money is burned on the streets, in dark alleyways, and behind curtained windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment