What Schoolhouse Rock doesn't discuss.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

The 28th Amendment: Freedom of Marriage

From the moment we gain true cognitive ability and become sensitive to the world around us, we learn who our parents are, who our siblings are, and what our house looks like. If we’re raised in a good environment, we quickly come to love the sanctuary of that place and the safety of its people. We cherish this family life and the ability to receive support from those around us; especially our parents. And it is not long before we start dreaming and imagining being able to provide for our own children with our own husband or wife. This is the typical family dream. Almost everyone has it, and in society, getting married and having a family is encouraged. That’s the natural way of life.
However, here in the United States of America, there are people who don’t have the freedom to marry the ones they love. They are told that their love is improper and that they cannot take the next step to express their emotions purely because of ancient beliefs that have been preached for thousands of years. The argument about same-sex marriage in this country has created a battleground between people who only want to love and zealous religious followers who can’t accept any other method but their own way of life. This country was founded with the freedom of religion, and that means that Jews, Christians, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, and anyone else all have equal liberty and freedom to celebrate their own way of life. It is this aspect of the argument against gay marriage that I cannot comprehend. There are people arguing that same-sex marriage is offensive to their religious views, yet they have nothing negative to say about their Jewish or Muslim neighbors. If they can get along so well with those guys, why can’t they just respect our country’s purpose of freedom for all and let same-sex marriage be?

I’d like to note that the option for non-religious weddings has been around for decades, and should thusly be entirely unoffensive to anyone who practices a particular faith. This country is supposed to be secular, and was born of people who came to create their own sanctuary. The citizens of the United States who have graciously inherited it from their forefathers forget that the reason many of the colonies were founded was because of religious persecution in Europe. The colonists (though there was some high tension between those of differing religious views in the very beginning) came to understand that they all commonly lacked religious freedom. That is why our first amendment grants us that right. And because all of this, the national government must recognize marriage civilly in order to grant marriage benefits to everyone whether they had a traditional Japanese wedding or a Bedouin wedding.

Now, I must state that I am not particularly religious in any way. I associate myself with Christianity because my family has done so for years. But I honestly don’t go to church on Sundays nor do I pray before dinner. And if I’m being true to myself, I would almost say that I am atheist. So why do I make the argument for gay marriage in terms of religion? Because if it weren’t for the religious people arguing that gay marriage is an attack on their religious beliefs, the United States would have recognized it long ago! Don’t get me wrong, though. I’m not saying that believing in same-sex marriage should be considered a religion. I’m merely asking for the same respect we give those of different religious affiliation to be applied to marriage so that maybe—one day—those of us who aren’t allowed to realize our dream of being a happily married couple just might be able to. If that means adding an amendment for the Freedom of Marriage, I’m all for it!

3 comments:

  1. In Tommy Gilbert's article "The 28th Amendment: Freedom of Marriage," he argues the right of an American to choose who they wish to marry. His argument is compelling, well stated and the evidence is well supported. It is true that same-sex marriage has been a controversy for quite some time now and a resolution needs to be made. My take on this issue is fairly in the middle. I don't necessarily agree with it but I don't 100% oppose it either.

    Before reading this article, I was more leaning against same-sex marriage, for the mere fact that I think a man should be with a woman not a man. I was raised in a Catholic environment and supporting same-sex marriage is out of the question. In today's wide variety of religions, accepting same-sex marriage seems just impossible. I am a very religious person myself and have been exposed to different perspectives and have come to my own conclusions. I believe people are not born homosexual and it's just something a person picks up. I would obviously not know this because I don't face this issue but that is just my opinion.

    In no means I am saying that same-sex couples don't deserve the same right as I have. We are only human and no one is perfect. I see that if I can marry who I wish so should everyone else. My faith has nothing to do with how I treat and feel about others and whether someone wants to marry the same-sex or of a different cultural background everyone is deserving of their own happiness. "I’m merely asking for the same respect we give those of different religious affiliation to be applied to marriage so that maybe—one day—those of us who aren’t allowed to realize our dream of being a happily married couple just might be able to." This is very true, if I as a Catholic can practice my faith why shouldn't someone who wishes to marry the same sex not be allowed too. Like I said before, this issue is delicate and hard to really criticize or support. In my perspective I don't see my happiness being affected by this issue and see nothing wrong, but with time my opinion might change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Tommy Gilbert's "The 28th Amendment: Freedom of Marriage", he brings up very worthy and significant points regarding marriage rights of gay couples. His argument is clear and concise, and I completely agree with what Gilbert writes. I, too support marriage rights for homosexual couples. As there are many different arguments on why gay marriage is negative, I like that Gilbert brings up the point of religious equality, and writes "There are people arguing that same-sex marriage is offensive to their religious views, yet they have nothing negative to say about their Jewish or Muslim neighbors", which makes banning gay marriage seem silly, honestly. We don't like/agree with the beliefs or practices of members of religions different than our own, but we still ACCEPT them. We need to ACCEPT the fact that homosexual couples share the same kind of unconditional love for each other that heterosexual couples can. They should be able to freely express the passion of their relationship by getting married.

    With more and more states legalizing gay marriage, I have strong faith that the United States as a whole will soon allow it. It is rapidly becoming more acceptable i believe, but still not to the extent that it should. People that think homosexuals are sinners or are "gross" truly disgust me. I think gay couples deserve to be proud and show others their affection in public without being ridiculed. Love and marriage is something to feel honored about, not humiliated for. And these religious folk are just going to have to learn to deal with it, because its becoming much more widely acknowledged!



    "I was against gay marriage until I realized I didn't have to get one."
    James Carville
    (This is amusing yet completely logical. Get over it people and just don't let it bother you; but let others be able to have the happiness in marriage that you do!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I am positively thrilled that I was able to change your opinion and I respect your thoughts about same-sex marriage, Estephany, I would like to state that being gay is NOT, and I repeat NOT a choice. Perhaps I was a little unclear in my article, and I made it sound more like a desire to to marry whoever one may "want," but I want to be clear. I am not at all implying that homosexuality is something you "pick up." With that analogy, you're stating that homosexuality is like an iPhone or some other hip product. It is neither contagious nor some sort of fad! If that were the case, people would be going from straight to gay and visa versa all the time. That cannot and >does not< happen.

    I respect your opinions, but I simply wanted to be clear that in my article, I am not implying that homosexuality is a choice, and I can assure you, no one would ever choose it over being straight. Not in THIS world with the hardships, trials, and prejudice homosexuals have to face. I apologize if this comment may seem harsh, and I can't ask you to change your opinion, I just implore everyone to look at the situation logically. No one would CHOOSE to be gay if they could.

    ReplyDelete